Friday, October 16, 2009

AV System Integration Over IP

Grant's Perspective on ... audiovisual on the LAN

It is typically expected by most people today that they can get internet almost everywhere. I'm not necessarily referring to only wireless but as well as the ol' fashioned connect a cable to your laptop thing. Also common is seeing a LAN port on many AV devices. See the photo below of a Crestron PRO2, Professional Dual Bus Control System that features 2 LAN connections.



In my world I’ve come to expect IP connectivity to AV devices. For example there are many times a client wants their control system changed to accommodate new projectors and other AV devices. As I deal with job sites all over Western Canada I connect from my office and make those changes. I’ve also integrated complete systems located in other cities over IP. Both examples above had the equipment connected through the clients network resulting in time and cost savings to the client.

However, a hurdle I have come across is that some companies have a security policy that restricts these devices from being added to their networks. “These devices” referring to items not directly related to IT, particularly for me, AV devices. Now in no way am I being disrespectful to security rules but I can’t help but feel this is going too far.

I've consulted with the Inland AV IT guy, Mark, who has years of experience with IP networks, and he tells me:

"It's natural for IT staff to resist adding devices to the network if they don't have to be. However, as companies begin to see the value of doing this, IT should realize that basically all IP devices in the AV world can be password protected. Also, they will tend to use either a web interface or a proprietary operating system. For example, if someone were able to log into a Tandberg V/C endpoint, they cannot access any other internal PCs via telnet or otherwise. A "compromised" projector or endpoint is no real threat to a company's network, as they cannot go any further than that."

I believe that eventually it will be realized that connecting AV to the network isn’t a problem and will become common place. But in the meantime we push a little to bring this to fruition.

Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment