Wednesday, March 10, 2010

AV Control Systems Save Money and the Environment

Grant's Perspective on ... programming upgrades to save electricity and extend projector life.


 “What are you doing for a blog this week?” a co-worker asked me at lunch time today. As I have more work on my plate than anyone can possibly handle, I wondered how to fit it in.  He responded with, “Write about what you’re doing this week”

I quickly realized the programming upgrades I’m currently involved with are worth mentioning.  Reason being?  These upgrades save operation costs and are “green”.

The upgrades to four systems were an extension of a feature that I often build into a control system.  The daily automatic shutdown of the projectors.  Obviously a smart thinking client!  In some systems I have built in two daily shut downs - just in case someone turns it back on.

Now if someone leaves the projector on, which happens very frequently in meeting facilities, the owner of that projector can rest assured it will not run all night.  Even worse, the next day too!  Triply worse, an entire weekend!!! (note the 3 exclamation points).  Running a projection lamp is like putting gas in your car, it’ll eventually run out. It’s an obvious point anyone would want to save gas.  Also, it’s very “green” as they won’t be unnecessarily using electricity and prematurely wearing out equipment.

Saving money and the environment, that is smart thinking.

Grant 

No comments:

Post a Comment