Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Keeping Crestron Updated With MasterInstaller

Grant's Perspective on ... Crestron makes keeping current with software updates easy.

When creating a custom Crestron control system, there are a handful-plus of software applications required in order to write the custom program.  Ditto for data bases.  Primarily there is one program for the controller and one for the touch panel.  Then there are the miscellaneous Apps needed for uploading, configuring, etc. and the data bases containing device modules and logic symbols, etc.  I pity the beginner programmer who naively figured they could download some software and create a masterpiece in a few hours - LOL.

With all the data bases, new features, graphics, etc. Crestron is excellent at providing, all the software applications and data bases need to be updated.  This occurs so frequently I upgrade all these apps and data bases every time I start a new project.  And keep in mind the files are huge!

Crestron has now made it easy!  A while back they provided an App called MasterInstaller that will do this for me. I simply open Master Installer, it automatically checks the current version of all my Crestron Apps and Crestron data bases, and provides a list of what needs to be updated.  I can edit the list and then simply let it proceed with downloading and installing all the new updates.  Awesome!   Since most of the downloads are huge, I can just let this run while I’m away at a meeting, when I return it’s all done.  Double Awesome!  Life is good and this computer-impatient person doesn’t have a cow before 10:00 am! 


This is also very beneficial to field techs who are working with Crestron long distance.  I know they will have their “tools” updated as required on a regular basis.

AND, even better, this is good for the Crestron customer.  They can be assured what they get under the hood is recent.  I believe a control system should run for years for the client and the only time the client should need an upgrade is when they want to add more devices or control features to the system.

Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment